Fortnite is one of the top shooter games out there for both console and pc. Gamers have spent hours and a lot of money building a collection of cosmetic products such as skins for your character, pickaxes, emotes, gliders and a whole lot more. When you’ve spent a substantial amount building your collection on Fortnite, you’d want to be able to protect it and 2-factor authentication enables you to do just that. This is how to enable 2fa on Fortnite.
1. What Is Fortnite
Fortnite battle royale was launched in 2017 and since then it has more or less taken over the gaming industry. It popularized the streaming genre and launched several top streamers like Ninja, Faze, etc. and brought mainstream media attention to the gaming industry. It can now be played on an ios device too, here’s how to download Fortnite on an iPhone
With Fortnite generating huge amounts of business, it wasn’t much of a surprise that gamers started spending money on the game to buy skins, battle pass, etc. Although all of the purchases in the game were purely cosmetic, that didn’t stop gamers from spending 44.3 million U.S. dollars through player spending worldwide on in-game purchases and microtransactions in April 2020.
2. How To Enable 2fa on Fortnite
Here is a detailed step-by-step guide on how to enable 2fa on Fortnite:
- Open the Epic games website.
- Sign in if you haven’t already.
- Head over to the ACCOUNT page.
- Select the PASSWORDS & SECURITY tab.
- Click the preferred method to enable Two Factor authentication under the “TWO-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION” header.
- USING A THIRD-PARTY AUTHENTICATOR APP: As your two-factor authentication, make use of an app called Authenticator. You will be required to use the security code provided by your Authenticator App provides when you sign in. These common authenticator apps can be found in the mobile device app store of your mobile device if you choose to use them for two-factor authentication:
- Google Authenticator
- LastPass Authenticator
- Microsoft Authenticator
- Two Factor authentication VIA SMS AUTHENTICATION: Make use of your phone as your Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) device. When you sign in, you will be asked to use the verification code that Epic games send to you via SMS message on the mobile number that you have provided for your epic games account.
- Enable Email Authentication: As a Two-Factor Authentication method, make use of a security code that will be sent to your email address. The address associated with your account will receive the security code. When you sign in from a new device, you’ll need to put it in.
- After selecting your authentication method, you should receive a code from Epic Games for email and SMS, and the App should generate a code for you. Input the code, and you should see a success message (the example below is for email).
- Refresh your account page and verify that the authentication method shows as being enabled by looking for the blue button that says “On.” Verify that Two Factor authentication is enabled.
- Please keep in mind that if you select more than one authentication method, you should mark the box next to your preferred method of contact that says “Make this my primary Two-Factor authentication method.”
This is how to enable 2fa on Fortnite / your epic games account
3. Why You Should Enable Two-Factor Authentication in Fortnite
Two Factor authentication drastically increases the security of your account. Even if somebody guesses your password or there are password leaks, they won’t be able to access your account and there’s an extra layer of protection.
- Free games:
Two Factor Authentication is required to claim some free games on the Epic Games Store. Epic Games makes one game free every week for you to purchase and keep in your library. You can claim these and then download them whenever you want on whichever device you want.
Two Factor authentication is required to send gifts to your friends in Fortnite. After all, a friend in need(of good skin) is a friend indeed.
- Competing in Fortnite:
Two Factor authentication is required for participation in Fortnite competitive events such as the Fortnite World Cup and many more such events that will further allow you to win new skins and rewards.
4. What You Get After Two-Step Verification
Epic games give you a free emote called the boogie down emote for all your troubles enabling Fortnite 2fa. After you’ve finished the two-factor authentication process, when you log into your account, you should be able to see the boogie-down emote in your collection. Not too bad of a reward for just a few steps and a second layer of protection for your epic games account. You can now continue gaming with the assurance that your account is safe and protected.
5. Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I make my epic account more secure?
A: Your Epic account is open to attack if you use the same email address and password on both Epic and another website that has been compromised. Use a unique password and enable multi-factor authentication to protect your Epic account.
Q: Which method is better for two-factor authentication?
A: All methods can be used. It is fully dependent on your convenience.
Q: What else will I get for enabling two-factor authentication?
A: On top of extra security and a free emote, if you play to save the world, you’ll also get 50 armoury slots, 10 backpack slots, and one Legendary Troll Stash Llama.
Q: Is there any other way to get the boogie-down to emote?
A: Right now, enabling two-factor authentication is the only way to get the boogie-down to emote.
Q: If I enable 2fa will I have to use it for epic games other than Fortnite?
A: Once you enable 2fa, you’ll have to use it across all the games you have purchased.
Q: Why am I unable to send gifts in Fortnite?
A: You’ll need to enable two-factor authentication to be able to send gifts.