- We are all aware of how important a role WhatsApp plays in everyone’s daily lives. WhatsApp has become an integral part of everyone’s life, whether a student or a working professional. It is one of the most widely used instant messaging applications globally.
- It has more than 5 billion users in the world. Before moving on to how to block a number on WhatsApp, let’s look at what the app is all about!
- WhatsApp Messenger, popularly known as WhatsApp, is a free instant messaging and voice-over IP owned by the Meta platform that allows you to exchange text and voices messages, make voice and video calls, share photographs, documents, users’ location and so much more.
- WhatsApp users can access WhatsApp messenger on their phone, iPad, or even on their desktop as long as the user’s device is connected to the internet.
- WhatsApp was developed by WhatsApp Inc. of Mountain View, California, later acquired by Facebook in 2014 for approximately 19.3 billion U.S dollars.
- It is a fast, simple, secure messaging and calling app used by more than 5 billion users globally, making it a more reliable and secure app to use. It is free to download and developed for small businesses.
- It provides end-to-end encryption to its users, making it easier and more reliable instant messaging platforms to use. It offers several features, including easy to use and reliable messaging services, a group chat platform to stay in touch with your loved ones, a voice and video call facility, sharing of photos and videos which includes your important moments, sharing of documents, sharing status updates and so much more to explore and learn.
How to Block a Contact?
- WhatsApp offers a compelling feature to block and report contacts if someone violates your privacy. There can be many possible reasons for blocking contacts. Some reasons can be immature, childish, or absurd, like getting into an argument, fighting, or getting upset with another, while others are not.
- When a person feels unsafe, is harassed or stalked, or feels another person is violating his privacy, blocking that person is the best option. Here are a few easy-to-block contacts on WhatsApp using your phone, IOS devices, or even your desktop.
- And if someone that is not known to you is sending inappropriate content or spam messages to you, you can also report and block unknown numbers on WhatsApp.
Steps To Block A Contact On WhatsApp On Android
1. Open the WhatsApp application on your mobile phone.
2. Look for the three vertical dots present at the top right corner of your mobile screen. Tap the dots, and a drop-down menu will appear.
3. Tap on Settings at the bottom of the drop drown menu. A settings menu will appear on your screen.
4. Tap the Account option. The Account menu will appear on your screen after that.
5. Tap the Privacy option to direct you to the privacy menu.
6. Tap blocked contacts present at the bottom of your screen.
7. Tap Add icon present on the top right corner. It will direct you to the contact details page. Please search for the contact name you want to block from your contacts list and select it.
An Alternative Method To Block Contact
1. Open the WhatsApp application on your android phone.
2. Open a chat of a contact that you want to block.
3. Tap on MORE (three vertical dots) present at the top right-hand corner of your screen. A drop-down menu will appear.
4. Again, tap on the More option from the drop-down menu present at the right-hand corner of your screen. It will again show you a drop-down menu with a block option.
5. Tap Block. A dialogue box for a confirmation to block a contact will appear in front of you on your mobile screen.
6. You can also report and block contact. Tap Block.
How To Block Unknown Numbers?
1. Open the WhatsApp chat tab with the unknown number.
2. Tap on More (three vertical dots) present at the top right-hand corner of your screen. A drop-down menu will appear.
3. Again, tap the More option from the drop-down menu present at the right-hand corner of your screen. It will again show you a drop-down menu with a block option.
4. Tap Block. A dialogue box for a confirmation to block a contact will appear in front of you on your mobile screen.
5. You can also report and block contact—tap Block.
Steps to Block a Contact On WhatsApp for iOS
1. Open WhatsApp on your iOS devices.
2. Tap on settings, present at the bottom right-hand corner of your iPhone screen. A settings menu will appear on your screen.
3. Tap Account. The Account menu will appear in front of you.
4. Tap the Privacy option. It will direct you to the privacy menu.
5. Tap Block Contact. A blocked contacts list will appear in front of you.
6. Tap Add New, present at the bottom left of your screen. It will show you your contacts, from where you can search for a contact you want to block.
7. Tap the contact, and that contact name will be blocked and added to your blocked contact list.
Steps to block a contact on WhatsApp: For the desktop version
1) Open WhatsApp on your desktop. You can either download it on your computer, or you can directly open it on your web browser.
2) Click Menu (three dots) present at the top right corner of your desktop screen. A drop-down box will appear.
3) Click on Settings. A settings menu will appear.
4) Click on the Blocked option. A blocked contacts list will appear in front of you.
5) Click on Add Blocked contacts. Add blocked contacts menu will appear. Search for the contact you want to block. You can also report contact if you wish.
6) Click on that contact name, and that contact will get added to your blocked contact list.
How To Unblock A Contact
Sometimes we accidentally block contacts or want to unblock contacts we have blocked on our phones. Then you can unblock them by using the below-mentioned steps that are easy to follow.
Steps To Unblock A Contact On WhatsApp On Android Phone
1) Open the WhatsApp home screen tap on the three vertical dots present at the top right-hand corner of your screen, allowing you to access the “More” option menu. A drop-down box will appear in front of you.
2) Tap Settings. A settings menu will appear. In the Settings menu, tap “Account.” Tap “privacy.” In the privacy menu, tap “Blocked Contacts.”
3) Tap the contact name that you want to unblock. Unblock the contact dialogue box will appear.
4) Tap unblock. Your contact will be unblocked.
An Alternative Method To Unblock Contacts
1) Open the chat with the contact that you want to unblock. A chat window will appear.
2)Tap on the contact name. Contact info will appear in front of you.
3) Tap unblock contact name. Wait for the confirmation “contact has been unblocked.” Now the phone number will be unblocked.
Steps To Unblock A Contact On WhatsApp On iPhone
1) Open the WhatsApp home screen tap Settings at the bottom right of your iPhone.
2) Tap Account, then Privacy.
3) Tap Blocked. A blocked contacts list will appear.
4) Tap the contact name on the contact’s details page. Tap Unblock. Your contact will be unblocked.
An Alternative Method To Unblock Contacts On iPhone
It is a similar process to our Android app:
- Search for the contact you want to unblock.
- Open the chat with the contact.
- Tap on the contact name, then directly tap unblock. Your contact will be unblocked.
Are you also curious to know if you block someone on WhatsApp, do they know about it?’
Well, WhatsApp does not notify the blocked person about blocking of its contact by you. But the blocked users can get clues about it easily. When you block someone on WhatsApp, then contacts you’ve blocked will no longer be able to see your last seen, online status, status updates, and any changes made in the contact’s profile photo.
Messages, calls, and status updates sent by the contact won’t be showing up on your phone and won’t be delivered to you as well. Also, blocked contact would not be able to call you as well.
So, this is all on how to block and unblock contacts on WhatsApp.
I hope this page helped you find your answers related to blocking contacts and how to unblock them.
Also read: What is Omegle