How to make a Google Doc public (through desktop)
These steps will guide you on how to make a Google doc public.
Step 1: Sign in to your Google Drive
- First, you need to sign in to your Google Drive. Once you sign in, you will see your homepage.
Step 2: Right-click on the file you wish to make public
- Locate the file on your homepage that you want to make public, and right-click on it.
Step 3: Click on “Share”
- A list appears when you right-click on the file. Select “Share”.
- Or, you can also open the file and click on the blue-colored “Share” button in the page’s top right corner.
Step 4: Select “Anyone with the link”
- Once you click on share, you see a page of access permission.
- Under the section of General access, select “Anyone with the link”.
- Your file is now public and anyone can access the file.
- You also get to decide the viewer’s rights. Click on the small arrow beside “Viewer”. You get to see these options:
- Viewer: Can only view the file
- Commenter: Can view and comment on the file
- Editor: Can view, comment, and edit the file
- After you select the viewer’s right, click on done.
Step 5: Share the document with people
- To share the document, enter the email addresses of the people you wish to share the particular document with, write a message (optional), and hit send.
- The document will now be shared with those people.
Step 6: Copy the link
- To copy the link, click on “Copy link” and the link will be copied to the clipboard.
- With only a few clicks of your mouse, you can share your document with anyone you want.
How to make a Google Doc public (through the app)
For Google Drive app users, follow these steps to make a Google Doc public:
Step 1: Open the app and sign in
- Google Drive is free to download on both Google Play and App Store.
- Open the app and sign in by entering the required details (email and password).
Step 2: Choose the file that you want to make public
- Locate the file that you wish to share, and click on the 3 dots next to the file.
- Tap on “Share” from the list.
Step 3: Tap the 3 vertical dots
- Tap on the 3 dots in the top right corner of your screen and tap on “manage access”.
- Click on “Change” below “Restricted”.
Step 4: Change accessibility
- Click on the arrow beside “Restricted” and tap on “Anyone with the link”.
- Now your document is open to anyone who has its link.
Step 5: Change viewer’s rights
You can select the viewer’s rights.
Tap on the arrow beside “Viewer”. A list appears with these options:
- Viewer: Can only view the document
- Commenter: Can view and comment on the file
- Editor: Can view, comment, and edit the file.
Step 6: Share the document
- Once you set up the permission and accessibility, simply tap on “Share” and enter the email addresses of the people you want to share the document with. The document will be delivered to the people.
- To copy the link, tap on the icon in the top right corner of your screen. The link is now copied to the clipboard. Share the link with whomever you want to.
- By following these steps, you can make a Google Document public and can share it with anyone you want.
- Are you looking for ways to make your Google Docs public? Google Drive can easily let you make it public and also share your document with whomever you want. All you need to do is make your document public and share the link to it.
- In this way, your document is accessible to anyone who has its link. Now, your readers can easily look through your document and can give their suggestions by adding a comment or editing a part, depending on what role you assign them.
Here’s how to make a Google Doc public!
Problems You might Encounter while making a Google Doc Public
These are the problems you might come across while making a Google Doc public:
- You are not signed in
Google Docs require you to sign in before you could share a file with anyone. So, make sure you are signed in. Please note that you need a Google account.
- You are offline
If you are unable to tap on the “Share” button, check whether you are connected to the internet. Wait until the “Share” button turns “blue”.
And now you know how to make a Google Doc public!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Are my viewers anonymous?
Viewers are anonymous. If your Google doc is public, and you have shared its link, people can view it without your knowledge. So, in short, the answer is yes.
- Can I share my document with internet users?
Yes, you can with internet users. All you have to do is copy the link of your document and paste it over the internet. Whoever clicks on the link will get access to the document.
You can make a Google Doc public for various purposes like for some official work, and non-official work. In this way, you can make your Google doc public. The procedure is quite simple and will only take you a few minutes to do so.
You may also like: How to Make a Folder in Google Docs?