Have you ever come across some YouTube videos that are going against the norms?
Well, there’s a way to get rid of content that goes against YouTube’s community guidelines. In this article, we will learn how to report a YouTube video.
How to Report a YouTube Video?
Reporting a YouTube video will only take you a few clicks. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to report a YouTube video:
Step 1: Click on the video you wish to report
- First, open YouTube and click on the video you want to report.
Step 2: Click on the three dots
- Tap on the three dots, and you will see the drop-down menu. Tap “report” (flag icon).
Step 3: Select the accurate option
- A list will appear with possible concerns related to the YouTube video.
- Click on the question mark if you want to see more options.
- Select the option that describes your problem accurately as a YouTube user.
Step 4: Describe what you did not about the video
- After you choose the option, a list of sub-reason will appear. Select the option that describes your problem.
Step 5: Set the time stamp and provide other details
- Set the time stamp from the point where you think the video is violating the guidelines, and provide additional details that will help the YouTube moderators understand your concern better.
Step 6: Click “Report”
- Once you are done giving the required details. Hit “Report,” and your action against the video will be addressed by YouTube staff.
- Once you report a video, their team will decide if the reported content violates their community guidelines.
- If the YouTube video does not meet the so mentioned community guidelines, it will be taken down by the concerned authority.
This is how you report a YouTube video.
What could be tagged as offensive content?
Offensive videos may include inappropriate content for the younger audience, promoting unethical activities, spreading hateful messages, child abuse, etc. It may also include – misleading thumbnails, titles, or descriptions.
Why report a YouTube video?
- People of all ages widely use YouTube. Because of the rich diversity, you may encounter content that could be potentially inappropriate for some people or a community. While some videos could be informative, some could be offensive too.
- YouTube is free for all, you just need to have a YouTube account to get access to various videos on different channels. Users may even create their own YouTube channel and upload content, but that should be within the guidelines. Violation of these rules can terminate your account.
- Explicit content may include sexual content, spam information, video conveying inappropriate messages, or even hate speech. Anything that doesn’t meet the YouTube community guidelines will be tagged as inappropriate.
Who can report a YouTube video?
Any YouTube user can report a YouTube video, channel, playlist or even a comment.
- If you find an inappropriate video, you have the right to report it.
- The review team will address the reported content, and the channel could be penalized or terminated if the report is valid.
Tips to avoid getting reported on YouTube
- You may or may not have a channel, but here are some basic tips you should go through to avoid getting your account terminated.
- Avoid spam comments under any video.
- Don’t report users unnecessarily.
- In live chat message streams, stay polite with everyone.
- Avoid foul language in your comments.
- On your channel, upload only original videos, as copied content gets reported.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How the reporting works?
When you report or flag a particular video, the YouTube moderators go through your complaint and closely monitor whether the video is violating any of their guidelines. If the video does not breach any of the stated guidelines, the video stays on the platform. However, if the video does go against the guideline, it will be taken down by the moderators.
When you report a video, your name is not displayed. So your identity remains anonymous to the video uploader as well as to the moderators.
Q. What else can we report other than just a video?
You can report not only a particular video but also a comment, playlist, thumbnail or even a channel. YouTube makes sure that the platform stays free from explicit and inappropriate content in any form.
Q. How many reports are required for a video to be taken down?
As such, there is no minimum requirement but as soon as someone reports a video, the review team starts scrutinizing your complaint. When they find the report relevant, the video will be taken down.
Q. Can you get in trouble while reporting a YouTube comment?
The answer is no. You will not get in trouble for reporting because you are helping YouTube to keep the platform free from inappropriate content. However, if your report is not relevant, YouTube will ignore it.
Q. How much time does it take for YouTube to take action on a report?
YouTube will address to your complaint within 48 hours from the time you have reported.
We saw how to report a YouTube video, and now we’ll see how to report a user. YouTube also gives individuals the right to report spam comments. You may also report a user by using the same procedure.
- Open the YouTube and video you want to report.
- Click on the comments section.
- Select the comments which goes against YouTube Standards.
- Click “report,” and a list of reasons will appear in front of you, select the reason and click on submit.
Now that you know how to report a YouTube video, users remember to use these features only when needed. The goal is to keep away inappropriate or offensive content, and not to settle personal scores against the creator.
Also, check: How to Cancel YouTube TV