Google developed and released a web browser named Google Chrome. It was released in 2008 for Microsoft Windows and later ported to Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android.
Most of Chrome’s source code comes from Google’s free and open-source software project Chromium, but Chrome is licensed as proprietary freeware. All are Chrome variants except iOS and Blink.
If you are looking for a fast, secure, and feature-rich web browser, you can’t go wrong with Google Chrome. Developed by Google, this browser offers a wide range of features and options that make it a no-brainer for personal and professional use.
As there are many pros and cons of Chrome, let us look at how to uninstall Google Chrome from various devices, including Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, and Linux.
1. Steps To Uninstall The Google Chrome App From Your Android Device
All the apps that Google provides, such as Google Duo, Google Maps, Gmail, Google Play, and YouTube, come pre-installed on most android devices, and thus we cannot completely remove Google Chrome (the uninstall button is not given).
We can not uninstall Chrome even from the play store. So we are only left with the option of disabling Chrome. The following are the steps to disable Google Chrome on most android phones:
- Step 1: Open settings in your mobile
- Step 2: Click on Apps and Notifications
- Step 3: Find Google Chrome in the apps list on your mobile
- Step 4: Enter Disable/ Force stop option
Another easy way to uninstall google chrome on an android phone is :
- Step 1: Open the app drawer on your device
- Step 2: Long press on the Google Chrome icon
- Step 3: Click on App info
- Step 4: There you will have three options and you have to select them in this order – Clear Data, Uninstall updates, and Force stop. Now let us understand what each feature does on selecting.
This feature forcefully stops working of google chrome in the background which leads to the saving of system resources.
This feature uninstalls all the updates which have been used by google chrome to keep itself up to date.
This feature deletes all your bookmarks, browsing data, application data, saved passwords, and other data which were stored in the chrome app.
2. Steps To Uninstall Google Chrome From Your iOS Device
Just like how Chrome is the default browser for Android devices, Safari is for all iOS devices. But due to its use-unfriendliness and new users who are accustomed to Chrome, many people tend to fresh install Google Chrome from Safari (ironically). Steps to uninstall Google Chrome from your iOS device:
- Step 1: Long press the chrome icon on your iOS device.
- Step 2: Simply select uninstall chrome. This will remove chrome from your iOS device.
3. Steps To Uninstall Chrome From Your Computer
In this segment, we will cover the three major segments i.e. Windows, Linux, and macOS in which the common masses operate. We will try to be as detailed as possible as well as keeping the required instructions concise.
Removing Chrome From Your Windows Computer
Windows is loaded with many other built-in Microsoft apps such as MS Office, MS Word, MS Paint, Excel, and many others. Microsoft Edge is the default web browser for Windows.
But if Edge is not your cup of tea then surely we can switch to Chrome, we can pick and install any other web browser of our choice such as Google Chrome, Opera. To set Google Chrome as the default browser, firstly we have to install chrome.
Now keeping in mind how much memory has to be allocated it is better to delete chrome for the proper functioning of your PC (you can check this by having a look in your task manager). The steps involved in the uninstall process of Chrome are given below:
- Step 1: Click on the start menu
- Step 2: Search for the windows control panel.
- Step 3: Find programs, click uninstall programs or remove programs.
- Step 4: Find the Google Chrome icon and select the remove option.
- Step 5: Google Chrome uninstaller will appear and you simply have to press the uninstall button.
This will completely remove Chrome from your computer. It is always a good practice to open your program files in your C Drive and check for google chrome’s applications folder. This is because in the applications folder some files may be left out by the uninstaller (which happens very rarely).
So better to delete these files. After which press the trash icon and press the empty trash feature (empty trash permanently deletes the files so always cross-check for important files).
This will ensure the deletion of all the files of chrome from your computer. The above-listed method works for Windows XP users as well.
Steps For Uninstalling Chrome In macOS
macOS (previously called mac OS X and later renamed OS X) is an operating system-based UNIX. It has been researched, developed, and marketed by Apple since the early 2000s.
It is the heart of all Apple’s Mac computers. macOS currently has the second-largest market share in desktop and laptop computers just behind the mighty Microsoft Windows.
The uninstall process of chrome is pretty simple and much more straightforward when it comes to removing google chrome completely from your macOS. The process is mentioned below:
- Step 1: Locate the chrome icon at the bottom of your screen.
- Step 2: Search for the quit option and select it.
- Step 3: Then search for the folder containing Chrome using the Finder.
- Step 4: Then drag the Google Chrome icon to the trash.
- Step 5: If you want to delete your profile information like bookmarks and browsing history then follow the below steps else you are good to go.
- Press the Go option located at the top of your screen
- Then Go to the folder
- Enter the following: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome
- Select Go option
- Select all the applications folder and drag them to Trash
If you are unsure whether Chrome is installed or not, check for it in the apps list.
Steps For Uninstalling Chrome From Linux
Linux belongs to a family of open-source Unix operating systems. It runs on embedded systems, and is used for database servers, email servers, basically, Linux is used in a shared server. Some popular examples of the Linux operating system are Ubuntu, Linux mint, etc.
Steps for deleting Chrome in Linux are mentioned below:
- Step 1: Open a terminal window
- Step 2: Based on the environment press :
- Ctrl + Alt + t (GNOME, Unity, and Cinnamon environments)
- Application menu – System – Konsole (KDE environments)
- Step 3: Then press the uninstall commands as follows :
- sudo dpkg -r google-chrome-stable (for debian-based systems)
- sudo rpm -e google-chrome-stable (other systems)
- Step 4: Finally, enter your computer password for the process to finish.
Re-Installing Google Chrome:
After uninstalling Google Chrome we might call for Google Chrome since Google browser never fails to deliver a seamless experience for its users. Re-installing the Google Chrome app can be done in the following ways:
- For Windows, we can re-install Chrome by simply downloading it from the existing browser.
- For Android devices, since we can’t uninstall Google Chrome we did force stop the app. we can undo the force stop from the settings and can get chrome back to use.
- For iOS devices, we can download Google Chrome from the existing browser and can use it.
- For macOS devices, we can download Google Chrome from its existing browser.
- for Linux devices, we can download Google Chrome from the commands.
From Google Chrome’s version 4.1 the app added a built-in translation bar using Google Translate. Language translation is currently available for 52 languages. When Chrome detects a foreign language other than the user’s preferred language set during the installation time, it asks the user whether or not to translate, which in turn updates all signed-in instances of Chrome. This can be either authenticated by Google credentials or a sync passphrase.
Roots Of Google Chrome
Let us take a deep dive into the history to unravel the secret of the success of Chrome. How chrome became one of the most popular web browsers.
In 2008, Google Chrome had just entered the market where it faced stiff competition from big players such as Internet Explorer (which was the default browser on all the windows based electronics) and Mozilla Firefox.
Not only did it fight off these web browsers but it also soared to greater heights. This was because Google Chrome cashed in on the weakness of its competitors.
Though Internet explorer ruled the market still it was error-prone and subject to frequent crashes. Even Mozilla Firefox (the newbie) still could not solve that problem despite being in the market for so long.
Google Chrome also has an incognito mode in it, it removes the tracks of individuals’ online searches.
Google began accepting requests for the removal of email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers, and from its search results in the year 2022. It had previously accepted requests for removing confidential data only, such as Social Security numbers, bank account, and credit card numbers, personal signatures, and medical records. Even with the new policy, Google may remove information from only certain but not all search queries. It would not remove broadly useful content, such as news articles, or already part of the public record.
Rise Of Google Chrome
In this dire situation, came Google Chrome as a blessing. Offers much more robust features along with a stable browsing experience for the users. Though it was accused of having a huge impact on the internals still it compensated by giving out excellent service.
One such step was that the source code of Chrome was made open-source. This led to contributions from various developers around the globe.
Another masterstroke was Google Chrome’s Sandboxing. This allowed each tab to have a process of its own which made sure that even in the case of crashing of one tab it ensured the safety of the other tabs(all the tabs except the one which crashed); unlike IE and Firefox where we have seen many messages IE not responding so we had to close the entire browser and start from scratch.
Also, Google Chrome had a far more stylish and modern search bar than the rest of the pack.
So these innovations coupled with some technological tricks led to the rapid usage of Google Chrome and boosted its popularity among the common masses. It became the favorite browser and ruled the market for years.
The Downfall Of Google Chrome
But nowadays the case is somewhat different. Reasons why Google Chrome is becoming unpopular are:
- Google Chrome had the bad habit of always being resource-hungry.
- Limited customization options
- High CPU usage
- High memory usage
Other web browsers are offering much more features with the same functionality as that Google Chrome.
But privacy concerns proved to be a final nail in the coffin and the common masses were left to search for other browsers which were better alternatives.
Some of the browsers (better alternatives)with their pros are listed below :
1. Brave browser
- Built-in Ad-Blocker
- Built-in VPN
- More security less tracking
2. Opera GX
- Specifically designed for gamers
- Built-in Ad-Blocker
- Built-in VPN
- Free games alert
- Has RAM, CPU, and network limiters
3. Tor browser
- Best security
- Deep web access
- Access to non-index pages and .onion websites
4. Duck Duck Go
- Very secured
- Ad-free browsing
- Cross-device data protection
- Better control of your searches
The above-listed browsers provided many superior features along with all of them being free and lightweight now the momentum is shifting towards these browsers.
So now is the time to switch from Google Chrome to some better substitutes than this “Google Chrome” browser.
Read More About: How to Get Transcript of a YouTube Video: 12 Helpful Things to Know About
I hope this was a helpful article that discussed in detail about how to uninstall Google Chrome from your device whether be an android device or an iPhone. Have a great day and happy surfing the internet !!!
Leave a Reply