I find people often wondering “Can I use google translate offline”? So, today let’s clear that out…
Thanks to some of the services developed by companies, we can now translate unknown languages with just a click through spontaneous translation apps, and google translate is one of them.
Google translate is a service provided by Google to translate text, documents, and websites from one language into another, and Google developed Google Translate, a multilingual neural machine translation tool.
It provides a website interface, an Android and iOS mobile app, and an API that aids developers in creating software apps and browser extensions. It can also translate from any file form, like images, documents, pdfs, and audio, into over 100 languages. You can use Google translate offline as well as online.
Google translate has been very successful among its users since its launch. For example, if you plan on traveling to a foreign country where you are unaware of the language, Google translate is a major help.
Suppose you need to know the directions to a certain place and are lost; you can use Google translate to either type in or question or record it through the mic feature in google translate and translate that and ask any local person.
And that local person can speak into the mic of google translate and answer your question, which you can then translate into your language, and this way, you’ll be able to get through a lot of obstacles faced when you don’t understand the language.
And the biggest advantage of the Google translation app is that it translates instantly, and you do not need to wait for the process to complete.
Google Translate Online-
To use Google translate on a web browser on your laptop or desktop, follow these steps-
1. First, you need an internet connection to use the online version.
2. Next, type in ‘google translate’ in the search box.
3. Click on search.
4. This will open the online Google translate on your web page.
5. You will see two boxes appearing.
6. In one, you can see ‘enter text’ written and ‘Translation’ in the other one.
7. You can select the language from the many options if you know the source language you are typing in.
8. Or even if you don’t know the source language, you can type in the text, and Google translate will detect the language used.
9. And in the ‘Translation’ box, you can choose the language you want the text translated to.
10. When you’re done, Google translate will automatically translate the text you want.
An additional tool is also available where you can click on the small microphone icon given in the Source language and the translated language, and you will be able to hear the pronunciation of the word or words.
For example, you want to translate a French word on a label to English to understand the instructions. So in the source language box, select French from the language options.
Then in the translation box, select English as the translated language.
Now type in the French word in the source language; suppose the word ‘Bonjour,’ and the word will translate to ‘Hello’ in English.
Can I use google translate offline: Role of Google Translate App-
The google translate app is helpful when you don’t have a signal or internet connection. And you also don’t need to search Google translate every time you need to translate something. The Google translate app is also more convenient when travelling as your device can have data usage or internet connection problems outside.
So basically, you can use google translate offline with the help of the app. Now to do so, you will need to download it first.
How to Download the Google Translate App on Android-
The Google translate app is made for offline use to translate languages offline without an internet connection. The app can be downloaded in the following ways-
1. You can go to the google play store available on your device.
2. Type Google translates app in the search box.
3. Open the app and click on Install.
4. The translate app offline works similarly to the online version to translate languages.
I5. n the first input box, you need to type in the language to be translated.
6. Then in the second box, choose the translated language. And then, type in the text you want to translate. It’s that easy. You can use this app anywhere for your offline use.
This is another very important feature in the app to translate offline and online. When you find how to pronounce the word, Google translate will also show a transliteration of the word in English.
Suppose the word for ‘hello’ in Hindi is नमस्ते so the transliteration would be ‘Namaste,’ which makes it easier to pronounce rather than just listening to the translation.
How to Download Google Translate on iOS-
The Google translate app is also available on iOS devices for offline use. Here’s how you can download Google translate offline-
1. Go to the Apple app store on your iOS device.
2. Search for the google translate app.
3. Tap download to install the app. The app works the same way
4. Put in the source language and choose the language in which it is to be translated.
5. Tap and type the text in the input box, which will translate languages offline.
6. And now, you can use google translate offline for offline translation.
Another method to translate texts or texts written on an image is the efficient Google lens. Google Lens is an image recognition tool that uses visual analysis powered by a neural network to identify things and display pertinent information.
Note- Google lens currently only works on mobiles on both Android and iOS devices. Google Lens app can now also be used for offline translation.
How to Translate Languages on Google Lens-
1. If you already have Google installed on your Android device, go to your main Google home page.
2. You will see a camera-like icon beside the microphone icon in the search bar.
3. Click on that. It will simply open if you have given Google permission to use your camera. If not, first allow Google permission to use your camera.
4. Tapping on that will option two kinds of options in front of you. Either ‘Search with your Camera’ or search among your gallery pictures.
5. If you want to translate a text through your camera, click on that option.
6. Capture the image or picture and choose ‘Translate’ in the options at the bottom of your screen.
7. Again on the top, you will see the input language and the translated one. Choose according to your preference.
8. Another way to use offline translation languages is the Google lens app. Download it on your device from the app store, which can be used for Offline translation.
1. Go to your Apple app store on your iOS device.
2. Search for the Google lens app in your app library.
3. And click on Install, and the app will be downloaded on your device.
4. To use Google translate online on iOS devices, you need to search in Safari or whatever browser you use.
There are many pros to the google translate app, and these are the following-
Not just text, but you can also translate texts written on images or in a book
Google translate is a free service available to all Google and non-google users. So you don’t need to purchase or buy a pro version of the app or the site.
It is fast. The service offers instant translation as soon as you start typing the text or an image, which is faster than any human translator can. It can translate thousands of words in seconds.
As much as the Offline translation in Google translate, or even the online one, has changed the game for offline translation files, images, texts, etc., the service still has some flaws. They are as follows-
Sometimes the complexity of a word or sentence makes it harder for the online or offline translation to translate into another language. Direct translation is more common, which does surface-level translations of the local language.
Languages with more speakers and hence a larger database have more accurate translations available than the other local language, like Spanish, French, English, etc.
Since translations are often direct and word-to-word, Grammatical errors are more likely to occur especially in longer sentences.
Another flaw is that there is no way to report the errors so they may not occur again, and also no way to be sure that the translated sentence in an unknown language is correct or not since you don’t know it.
Other Translation Apps to Check Out
Suppose you want to translate or download languages offline other than Google translate. In that case, these are some of the apps you should check once- iTanslate, SayHi, Text Grabber, Microsoft Translator, Waygo, Mylingo, and TripLingo.