- Reading is one of the best habits to develop and also a pleasant leisure activity, and what better way to pursue reading than on the new model of e reader by Onyx Boox, which is the Onyx Edison! Modeled with a larger screen and a rich profile of technical specifications, Onyx Edison is an e-book reader you cannot miss out on.
- The 7.8-inch backlit E Ink Carta Plus display takes the reading experience to another level. Moreover, the enlarged screen gives the reader the advantage of using it for reading fiction while also being suitable for working with technical documents.
- If we talk about the performance of Onyx Boox Edison, its 8-core processor integrated with 3 GB RAM keeps the device running fast even while working with complex documents. The electronic reader can also be connected to various external devices through the built-in Bluetooth module. It can also be connected to network services using the built-in Wi-Fi module.
- Edison runs on the Android 10 operating system, allowing you to conveniently install and use third-party applications. This feature increases the potential of the reader and expands its capabilities. The reader comes in a sleek and thin compact case with its screen shielded with Asahi protective glass which is a top-tier glass by the well-known Japanese manufacturer ASAHI.
Edison also boasts of its smart magnetic cover and its convenient paging buttons.
Onyx Boox Edison Specifications
Onyx Boox Edison has an impressive set of specifications and features and here’s what they are.
- Brand: Onyx Boox
- Item Weight: 235 Grams
- Item Dimensions (LxWxH) : 7.6 x 5.3 x 0.24 inches
- Screen Size: 7.8 Inches
- Human Interface Input: Buttons
- Connectivity Technology: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, USB
- Memory Storage Capacity: 32 GB
- Display Technology: E Ink
- E Ink Carta Plus, 7.8″ touch capacitive
- Resolution 1872 × 1404, 300 ppi, 16 shades of grey, with the SNOW Field function
- File Formats Supported: TXT, HTML, RTF, FB2, PRC, MOBI, CHM, PDB, FB2.zip, DOC, DOCX, DOC, EPUB, MP3, WAV, CBR, CBZ, JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP, PDF, DjVu,
- Processor: 8-core, 2 GHz
- RAM: 3 GB
- Internal memory: 32 GB
- Size: 194 × 136 × 6.3 mm
- Weight: 235 g,
- USB: Type-C
- Operating system: Android 10.0
- Battery: Li-Pol, 3150 mAh
- High-quality cover case included
- Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth: 5.0
- MOON Light 2 Technology
What’s New in Onyx Boox Edison?
Edison has several features that sets it apart from its previous models of electronic readers. Here is a brief description of some of these outstanding technical specifications and features and how they elevate the reading experience.
1. E Ink Carta Plus
- It is the latest generation screen launched by E Ink and is made using the technology of electronic paper.
- It has a higher resolution in comparison to its previous series of displays. It also has a higher contrast ratio as compared to its earlier generations of e-Paper. This gives Edison a contrast ratio that closely resembles a paperback book.
- E Ink Carta Plus also has a high pixel density of 300 pixels per inch, which makes it equivalent to paper printing of high quality. This greatly improves the reading experience as such a high-quality screen provides comfort and ease similar to when we read from the pages of a good paper book.
2. SNOW Field Function
- SNOW Field is a screen operating mode that reduces the number of artifacts that appears on the E Ink screen when it is not fully refreshed.
- When you turn this function on, it is not necessary to go for a full refresh of the screen while reading simple text documents.
3. Screen Backlight
- Edison features a MOON Light 2 technology so that the device can be used even in poor lighting conditions or in the dark without posing a risk to your eyesight.
- This feature gives a soft glow to the screen which is optimal for dark rooms. The color temperature of the backlight can also be adjusted.
- Geared with Flicker-Free technology, this device is completely free from flickering, which often happens when a device is used under low lighting.
4. MOON Light 2
- The increasing awareness of the ill effects of blue light from devices shows how important it is to tackle this problem. The blue light from devices prevents the production of melatonin in the body, which is required for a person to fall asleep.
- This is why reading from an ordinary device like a smartphone or a tablet often makes it difficult for a person to fall asleep.
- Onyx Edison makes use of the MOON Light 2 technology which gives you the liberty to adjust the color temperature of the LEDs and choose from a range of cool to warm lighting system. The cooler or whiter light can be used during the day and the warmer or yellower light can be used for reading at night.
- Since Edison uses a constant voltage source, the flickering of LEDs used for the backlight is completely eliminated. This considerably reduces any discomfort to the eye. It also prevents fatigue and reduces the risk of headaches as a result of prolonged usage of the reader.
5. Larger Screen Size
- Edison has a large screen size of 7.8 inches which displays 68% more information than what a similar reader of 6 inches screen can display.
- The screen size of Onyx Boox Edison has been strategically provided so that the display capacity is increased but at the same time it remains compact and portable enough to be used and carried around comfortably during travel.
6. Case with SIDE Control Technology
- Onyx Edison comes with a smart magnetic cover that can protect the screen from damage and when it is closed, the reader goes into sleep mode automatically.
- There are also convenient scrolling side buttons on the side which makes it very convenient for use.
7. Additional Screen Protection
- Apart from the outer cover that protects the screen, Onyx Edison has a protective glass that is placed on top of the E Ink screen which protects it from wear, scratches, and other damages.
- The protective glass is manufactured by ASAHI which is a famous Japanese manufacturer. This glass has also allowed the removal of the additional sides, making it possible to achieve a screen that is flushed with the body of the reader.
- This provides a comfortable working experience with the device and also gives an aesthetic modern appearance.
- That’s not all though! Onyx Edison is also provided with a special coating that reduces the chances of glare on the screen.
8. Outstanding Specifications
- Edison can handle even the most complex documents with its 8-core 1.8 GHz processor and a RAM of 3 GB.
- It also has a non-volatile memory of 32 GB that allows you to store a considerable amount of technical literature.
9. Bluetooth Module
- Onyx Edison comes with a built-in Bluetooth 5.0 standard which helps you to connect external devices. It gives better wireless connectivity range, higher speed, and a more efficient Low Energy (LE) audio.
- The device supports OTG to connect additional peripherals without the need for drivers.
11. Format Support
- In Onyx Edison reader, you can open files and images in different text and image formats. You can also easily change font style, font size, and page layout.
- You can zoom documents while reading, at your will. It also has bookmark options and allows you to scale documents arbitrarily.
12. Audio Player
- Onyx Edison has a preinstalled audio player through which you can listen to music and also play audiobooks.
- You can easily connect the reader to your headphones, AirPods or speakers and open the corresponding file to listen. You can also play the audio files through the built-in speakers.
13. Systematic Library
- Onyx Edison provides options to sort and arrange books in the library by authors, titles, and series. This helps to systematically sort the books and makes it easier to find them.
- The search and filters also provide options to conveniently find the desired book by genre, language, publication date, and so on. The device also supports the standard folders that are created on a desktop computer.
14. Conveniently Write Books to Memory
- Edison not only provides the standard way of writing books using a USB cable but also provides a user-friendly e-Book writing process by allowing you to transfer books using Wi-Fi.
- Edison also provides Send2boox cloud PUSH service which is now available on the device.
15. Application Installation
- Onyx Edison is based on the Android 10 operating system and permits the installation of various third-party apps which significantly expand the capabilities of the device.
16. Long working time
- The device has a 2000 mAh battery that provides long battery life. The E Ink display also consumes low power reducing the load on the battery.
17. Supports Multiple Languages and Dictionaries
- Onyx Edison supports multiple languages of the world making it possible to read documents in languages like Russian, English, French, Spanish, German, Arabic, Swedish, Finnish, Dutch, Chinese, Japanese, and many other languages.